Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Potty Training Accidents

Ugh! Just when I thought Ashleigh was potty trained, now come the accidents. We were 11 days without any incidents, but we had a pee accident on the floor in the bathroom this morning (no big deal, just throw the floor rugs into the washer and some 409 on the floor and it's cleaned up). She was also very cranky and when she refused to eat anything for lunch, I thought maybe she wasn't feeling well. After a short nap, she felt warm, so I took her temperature. I found out she had a fever of 100.6 F and was a little relieved that her crankiness was sick related.

Kenzie, Ashleigh, and I played Play-doh for a while, and I put Ashleigh back to bed. While Tracy was over to pick up Kenzie, Ashleigh woke up again after another short nap, cranky and waiting for me at the top of the stairs. I picked her up to bring her downstairs and when I was setting her down on the couch, noticed her lumpy bottom. She had her first poop accident without a diaper since we started potty training three weeks ago and it really was awful. I don't think it would have been so bad, if not for Tracy waiting for me to finish cleaning up Ashleigh and her clothes (more laundry). She did help me out by holding Ethan and keeping Kenzie out of the bathroom. However, when I made the comment, "that's the fun of potty training", after everything was cleaned up, she said "I want to have Kenzie potty trained by the time the new baby comes." Now Kenzie just turned 2 and is showing great promise by going on the potty and is very interested right now, but I really don't want to have two potty-training toddlers plus a newborn. We would never leave the house! After a day like today, I'm almost ready to put Ashleigh back in diapers (well, not quite because she did have a fever), but I'd definitely say it was a discouraging and very challenging day, to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is so cool to hear how well ashleigh has been doing...but i feel for you on that clean up! just cooking dinner and listening to music on the computer...thought i'd stop by your page...lots of love

Anonymous said...

Girl, I've been there. Yes, there are days (read weeks) that you will not leave the house, even with just one child potty training. IMHO, I would say that if Kenzie's mom wants her potty trained, that's HER responsiblity, not yours. In addition to that, the chances of her staying PT are zero when the baby comes. Every child regresses when a new sibling arrives. Also, something else to consider; it took Abby 1-1/2 YEARS to become fully potty trained. My point is that some kids do it over night, some kids take FOREVER. But in order for any kid to get it, they have to be ready. I want to encourage you to keep on keeping on, be patient, and be thankful Ashleigh isn't going Van Gogh with her poop on her carpet and walls. Love you!