Friday, August 15, 2008

Camping at Eleven-mile Reservoir, day at Lakeside, and Dairy Tour

Wow, we've been busy this past week! Rob, Ashleigh, Ethan, my sister, my brother-in-law and I went camping at Eleven-mile Reservoir last weekend. Overall, we had really good weather considering it was a torrential downpour here in Aurora on Friday and we just had sprinkles Friday night with steady rain from dinner until we went to bed on Saturday night. The days were great and we got a hike in with the kids on Saturday morning with a nice afternoon around the campsite playing games and reading during the afternoon. I think the camping trip was a little rough on Rob though as he had just gotten home from one business trip late Thursday night, thankfully had Friday off, but then flew out again for Michigan on Sunday afternoon for the week and gets back this evening. I sure miss him when he's gone, but am able to keep myself busy hanging out with friends while he is gone, so definitely not lonely! Ashleigh loved climbing the rocks around the campsite and now I know how my mom felt when I took risks climbing trees and going to high places. As a mom, you want to keep them under your wing and not let them do anything dangerous, but they also need to learn about the world through exploring on their own and as my dad advised, it's good to let them make mistakes sometimes, even when you know what the outcome will be, so they can learn from them.

Ashleigh climbing up high on the rocks

Ethan trying hard to keep up with his sister


Hummingbird stuck inside of our tent

The Fam in front of Eleven-mile on our hike

Beautiful purple butterfly on our hike

Hiking by the lake and Ethan catching a snooze

Our last morning at camp - a very cold morning!

Ethan bundled up waiting for breakfast

I also went to Lakeside on Tuesday with my friend, Amy, and our free passes from the summer reading program at the library, which was like a trip down memory lane for me since my mom took us to Lakeside when we were kids once a year with the summer reading coupons too. I have to say though that almost all the rides were identical to when I was a kid... I'll just leave it at that!






Yesterday, we went to a dairy for a tour with my moms' group from church and the kids and moms got to take a tour, see a movie, taste samples, witness the cows being milked, pet and feed the calves and goats, and learn how a dairy is run. You sure look at a cow being milked much differently after you've nursed and pumped for your own children! We also brought sack lunches and ate together after the tour and bought some homemade ice cream cones for dessert. It was a great day and fun getting to know some of the moms and their kids better. We definitely had great weather compared to today which is foggy, drizzly, and about 50F outside!






Can't wait to see Rob in just a few hours and to celebrate his birthday together after we pick him up. I know his trip has been long with 12-hour work days, plus dinner with his co-workers after they finish up work. I have probably talked with him a total of an hour this week (minus the camping trip), so it'll be nice having him home again for a long stretch!

Guess I should also mention that I'm pregnant now and almost half-way through my pregnancy. We will find out what we're having in just two short weeks and can't wait! It seems by your third pregnancy, you manage to tell most people the news, but I'm sure there are some readers out there who don't know yet and are noticing I'm putting on some weight in the pictures so I'll come right out and clear up that rumor! We are excited and also a little nervous about the age difference of Ethan and the new baby, but God's plans are perfect and we know what a gift children are from the Lord.

4 comments:

Karrie said...

Looks like you've been having a lot of fun! Very cool:-)

That was so funny looking at your pictures of Lakeside. I've never been there, but since my old office was on the 5th floor of the bank building across the lake, that park was my view every day for 3 1/2 years:-)

Have a safe trip and lots of fun this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Janice- wow- congratulations on your pregnancy! We were planning on camping this weekend but the weather was so bad we did not go- I love seeing Ashley climbing on the rocks- I remember how the bigger kids loved that hill at Eleven Mile when we all went!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congrats on another baby! If you are not busy enough now, you certainly will be!! It has been a while since I checked you blog & was surprised there was so much to catch up on. The kids are so cute in the pictures. It was good seeing you at Southlands...that has become my favorite shopping mall so I may see you again sometime.
Pat

amy luella said...

sometime i would like to hear how it was getting the hummingbird out of the tent!=) look forward to talk with you soon.