Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Our Evil HOA

Normally I keep these pretty positive, but I have to vent about our evil homeowner's association. As I mentioned in the last post, we've had record-breaking consecutive days of 90+ degree heat. We're up to 24 days now with hardly any rain, but it is cooling off, thankfully. Reason I talk about the weather is our evil HOA just sent a second hate letter regarding our browning lawn giving us 10 days to fix it. I should also mention that our water company, ECCV, restricts our watering to three days/week and only 15 minutes/day, which we are doing. So we have a dilemma here to either be fined by ECCV for over-watering, or be fined by our lovely HOA for a brown lawn. I called ECCV this morning, hoping to get a little wisdom on who has the legal authority here, but they said they're working on it and that if I water more than the allocated time, I could be fined. ECCV also said I couldn't seed or re-sod until after Sept 15th as the letter from the HOA said we had to do within 10 days.

Well, I sent an email off to our HOA with the prior information and asked for an extension through fall, but am not very hopeful to hear a response as they failed to respond to my email two years ago regarding the siding direction on our shed not matching the direction of the siding on the house (which we also had 10 days to fix at the end of December, so Rob spent his Christmas vacation residing the shed in the cold). I seriously doubt our slightly brown lawn is hurting housing prices in the neighborhood and think it's probably more the nationwide falling housing market that's bringing down the home prices. I'll keep you posted on this one! It's frustrating, to say the least.

5 comments:

Jenna Hoskinson said...

ack, what a pickle! my guess is that you could fight the HOA if they fined you because the city is higher up the food chain, so to speak.

Tina said...

I am sorry that your HOA is being so difficult. Some people just don't have common sense. I do have to laugh that I am glad we do not have one beacause our lawn is completly dead after the dry heat wave.

amy luella said...

tough, janice...and 15 min. for 3 days sure doesn't seem like much even if you are watering at midnight.

Anonymous said...

Oh, girl. I'll be praying for you, and blowing as many raining clouds as I can your way. Perhaps if you make an idle threat of counter-fining the HOA you might get a concession. Good luck!!

Janice said...

We did get an extension from our HOA, although only for two weeks instead of the month I asked them for. Thanks for the prayers, Ann. They seem to be working as we've had some great rain storms in the last few days.