Friday, February 20, 2009

My Poor Boys!


Feeling better here than they are today!


Ashleigh holding Tyler (almost 1 mo)

Sad to report today that both my little guys are going through little illnesses. Ethan has a case of diarrhea and runny nose and our newborn has thrush right now. It's a yeast infection of the mouth where naturally-occurring bacteria grow at a rapid rate and is fairly common in newborns under 2 months. I started him on the antibiotic Nystatin last night, but he needs to be on it at least 7 days and for three days after the thrush clears up. Thankfully, we haven't been passing it back and forth yet, but I am treating myself as well, just to prevent that. Here's a picture of the little guy. We caught it just in time before it mushroomed into full mouth where it was just a few bumps when we started the antibiotic. If you Google Image search Thrush, it's pretty scary, so I'm glad we caught it early! It does explain the sporadic sleep pattern he's had the last few days and his inconsistent feedings! Last night was the hardest with him crying until midnight, then awake again at 4am, the alarm going off for Rob at 5:45, then Tyler waking up again at 6:15am. I know it'll get easier, it's just hard to see that in the midst of it.

Taken last night, before starting him on the antibiotic (see his upper right lip?)

Although I'm sleep-deprived, we are still getting into our routines a little bit, including pre-school with Ashleigh and going to a few activities with my moms' groups. I can't make it on time to anything and have trouble going out with the three kids right now, but that will also get easier with time, I'm sure! Rob and I were even able to go out for a date night while Rob's brother Jon watched the two older kids and we took Tyler with us to a movie. We saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Tyler slept through the entire move (3 hours long!). So nice to get out though for a date night, even if Tyler was with us! New parents need them, for sure!


Listening to Uncle Jon's iPod and looking much older than she is!


Ashleigh making a block tower pattern

1 comment:

amy luella said...

poor boys! love that john was able to watch the kids, and you two got a long movie in!